The HBAA's Disaster Resource Center was established to assist consumers in the wake of hurricanes, tornadoes, and other natural disasters. There is a wealth of information available about how to prepare for disasters, steps to recovery, and other resources. This section of our website is devoted to providing that information in order to make the rebuilding and recovery process less cumbersome.
- Visit www.ready.gov for tips on preparing for a tornado, hurricane or other disaster.
- Residents and business owners who sustain losses in a disaster can begin applying for assistance by registering online or calling 1-800-621-FEMA (3362).
- Consult FEMA’s list of online and mobile resources you can use to help survivors.
- HUD also has a list of disaster resources on its site.
Disaster Articles Be Ready Alabama Cleaning Carpets and Floors After a Storm or Flood
- The Alabama Home Builders Self Insurers Fund has Loss Control Representatives available to provide safety training and guidance to Fund members to help you keep your jobsite safe and avoid OSHA violations. For more information about Loss Control services, or to learn about requirements for becoming a member of the Fund, call 1-800-745-3863.
- To make sure that you are properly licensed as a residential contractor in Alabama, contact the Alabama Home Builders Licensure Board.
- If you are interested in working with FEMA on debris removal, reconstruction and other disaster relief, visit the contractor page on FEMA’s website.
- To apply for a D&B Data Universal Numbering System (DUNS) number (a requirement for registering with FEMA’s Central Contractor site), click here.
- To find out if you're eligible for tax relief from the IRS, click here
Home Builders Licensure Board (334) 242-2230 www.hblb.alabama.gov
General Contractors Board (334) 272-5030 www.genconbd.alabama.gov
Alabama Electrical Contractors Board (334) 269-9990 www.aecb.state.al.us
HVAC Board (866) 855-1912 www.hacr.alabama.gov
Plumbers & Gas Fitters Board (205) 945-4857 www.pgfb.state.al.us
Onsite Wastewater Board (334) 269-6800 www.aowb.state.al.us
The following are links to websites with further information about disaster preparation and recovery:
National Association of Home Builders www.nahb.org
Disaster Contractors Network www.dcnonline.org
PATH (Partnership for Advancing Technology in Housing)
Department of Energy's Disaster Recovery and Building Reconstruction www.eere.energy.gov
Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) www.fema.gov
The Alabama Home Builders Foundation is accepting donations that will go directly to helping local Home Builders Associations in storm-affected areas in Alabama. You may make checks payable to the Alabama Home Builders Foundation, and mail to:
Alabama Home Builders Foundation
Attn: Storm Relief
P.O. Box 241305 Montgomery, AL 36124-1305